POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : boggle of the day Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  boggle of the day (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Darren New
Subject: boggle of the day
Date: 12 Nov 2008 13:57:26
Message: <491B2717.8080508@san.rr.com>
The rings of Saturn are 73,000,000 meters from closest to farthest from
Saturn. That is, about 20,000,000,000,000,000 square meters of surface
area, or roughly 400 times the surface area of the earth.

The rings of Saturn are five to fifteen meters thick. Not kilometers.
Meters. Like, "here, bring me that ladder..."

This is fun:
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/charles_elachi_on_the_mars_rovers.html

Watch the first three minutes at least for the humor as he gets the
crowd warmed up, even if you're not interested in space flight.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

> The rings of Saturn are 73,000,000 meters from closest to farthest from
> Saturn. That is, about 20,000,000,000,000,000 square meters of surface
> area, or roughly 400 times the surface area of the earth.
>
> The rings of Saturn are five to fifteen meters thick. Not kilometers.
> Meters. Like, "here, bring me that ladder..."

Or, roughly, if I did the math right, if saturn's rings were "paper
thin", the piece of paper you cut the rings from would be 1600 meters on
a side, or roughly a mile across.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

I very much like the TED site. My only complaint is that there are so
many interesting talks that I spend too much time there.

Post a reply to this message

>> The rings of Saturn are 73,000,000 meters from closest to farthest
>> from Saturn. That is, about 20,000,000,000,000,000 square meters of
>> surface area, or roughly 400 times the surface area of the earth.
>>
>> The rings of Saturn are five to fifteen meters thick. Not kilometers.
>> Meters. Like, "here, bring me that ladder..."
>
> Or, roughly, if I did the math right, if saturn's rings were "paper
> thin", the piece of paper you cut the rings from would be 1600 meters on
> a side, or roughly a mile across.

Except that, AFAIK, Saturn's rings aren't solid. They're composed of rubble.

Post a reply to this message

> Except that, AFAIK, Saturn's rings aren't solid. They're composed of
> rubble.

Yep. Nevertheless mind boggling. I wonder if they're denser or looser
than the paper would be at the same scale? :-)