POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Luniversity studies Server Time
10 Oct 2024 13:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Luniversity studies (Message 124 to 133 of 203)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Luniversity studies
Date: 13 Nov 2008 15:57:10
Message: <491c94a6$1@news.povray.org>
Tom Austin wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>> Tom Austin <taustin> wrote:
>>> One think to keep in mind, you are best off not trying to drive the LED
>>> directly from the chip.  Some chips can do it, but most cannot.  Lots of
>>> times you need to put a *switch* that the gate switches.
>>
>> I have an electronics kit, with CMOS ICs, LEDs, and AA batteries
>> adding up
>> to 9v. I have always connected LEDs directly at the output of gates.
>> With a
>> resistor, of course (3.3k ohm), I mean without any kind of switch.
>>

> With TTL you should be able to drive a LED from the outputs.
> With CMOS you better check to be sure.

I have an electronics kit with TTL in it. (A 7400LS, no less.) All the
diagrams drive the LEDs directly from it.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Tom Austin
Date: 13 Nov 2008 16:52:46
Message: <491ca1ae$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Tom Austin wrote:
>> Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
>>>
>>> I have an electronics kit, with CMOS ICs, LEDs, and AA batteries
>>> adding up
>>> to 9v. I have always connected LEDs directly at the output of gates.
>>> With a
>>> resistor, of course (3.3k ohm), I mean without any kind of switch.
>>>

>> With TTL you should be able to drive a LED from the outputs.
>> With CMOS you better check to be sure.
>
> I have an electronics kit with TTL in it. (A 7400LS, no less.) All the
> diagrams drive the LEDs directly from it.

That's TTL - it can source current, i.e. drive a LED
CMOS usually cannot source as much current.

Post a reply to this message

>>> One think to keep in mind, you are best off not trying to drive the LED
>>> directly from the chip.  Some chips can do it, but most cannot.  Lots of
>>> times you need to put a *switch* that the gate switches.
>>
>> I have an electronics kit, with CMOS ICs, LEDs, and AA batteries adding
>> up to 9v. I have always connected LEDs directly at the output of gates.
>> With a resistor, of course (3.3k ohm), I mean without any kind of switch.
>>

> With TTL you should be able to drive a LED from the outputs.
> With CMOS you better check to be sure.

It's all CMOS. In very few places it actually uses an extra transistor or
switch to drive an output.

Post a reply to this message