POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 9D hypercardigan Server Time
6 Sep 2024 23:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  9D hypercardigan (Message 14 to 23 of 23)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: 9D hypercardigan
Date: 11 Nov 2008 15:09:39
Message: <4919e683@news.povray.org>
>>   I thought free energy was related to the first law, not the second.
>
> Only in closed systems. If you can suck useful work out of ambient air
> temperature, that counts as "free" energy in the "gratis" "no-cost" sense.
>
> That is, it's in the same sense that running your car on solar energy is
> "free energy", even tho obviously the sun is supplying the energy and is
> running down much faster than your car is speeding up.

Dude, don't forget zero-point energy. One day somebody's going to figure
out how to harness that and we'll all have limitless amounts of energy
for nothing!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 11 Nov 2008 16:19:40
Message: <4919f6ec$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Dude, don't forget zero-point energy. One day somebody's going to figure
> out how to harness that and we'll all have limitless amounts of energy
> for nothing!

I am told by people with PhDs in theoretical particle physics that this
is not theoretically impossible. Zero-point energy is apparently not
subject to the same conservation laws, so *if* you could actually get it
out, you'd be golden. Way over my head, tho.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

>> Dude, don't forget zero-point energy. One day somebody's going to
>> figure out how to harness that and we'll all have limitless amounts of
>> energy for nothing!
>
> I am told by people with PhDs in theoretical particle physics that this
> is not theoretically impossible. Zero-point energy is apparently not
> subject to the same conservation laws, so *if* you could actually get it
> out, you'd be golden. Way over my head, tho.

Interesting. The definition of "zero-point energy" is the minimum energy
state of the system, such that it is impossible to reduce it to a lower
energy state.

Therefore, by definition, if you *can* actually access the energy then
it isn't actually zero-point energy. :-D

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Dude, don't forget zero-point energy. One day somebody's going to figure
> out how to harness that and we'll all have limitless amounts of energy
> for nothing!

  Will then a gravity gun be possible?

--
                                                          - Warp