POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : in agorum laborat Server Time
10 Oct 2024 07:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  in agorum laborat (Message 51 to 56 of 56)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: in agorum laborat
Date: 12 Nov 2008 12:02:14
Message: <491b0c16$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   I think a sentence would change its meaning (even if subtly) if you
>>> changed "i.e." to "e.g." or vice-versa.
>
>> I'm not sure I understand.   That is, can you give an example?

Whoosh!

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Nov 2008 14:07:52
Message: <491b2988@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:39:25 +0100, scott wrote:

>> Admittedly, "tryed" is a rare form, considered largely obsolete in most
>> cases, but it is nevertheless a valid spelling.
>
> Oh I didn't know that, but then I don't think he should be teaching that
> to his English class!  I wouldn't want my German teacher to teach me
> some word is spelt a certain way, but actually 99.9% of people spell it
> a different way - it makes no sense.

I wouldn't disagree with that - the common spelling would be the
appropriate way to spell it unless there was a reason why he wasn't.

Sometimes teachers are just weird. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Nov 2008 14:08:43
Message: <491b29bb$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:02:16 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure I understand.   That is, can you give an example?
>
> Whoosh!

LOL, but you have to admit that Warp's example was quite good. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> LOL, but you have to admit that Warp's example was quite good. :-)

Yes, and I appreciate the effort that went into developing it. I just
thought it would spoil any modicum of humor in the request to point out
that it was actually supposed to be humorous. :-)

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:10:44 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> LOL, but you have to admit that Warp's example was quite good. :-)
>
> Yes, and I appreciate the effort that went into developing it. I just
> thought it would spoil any modicum of humor in the request to point out
> that it was actually supposed to be humorous. :-)

Well, if it helps, it made *me* laugh when I read it.:-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message