POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's here! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:13:18 EDT (-0400)
  It's here! (Message 53 to 62 of 92)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: It's here!
Date: 6 Nov 2008 16:15:12
Message: <49135e60@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> (Heee... I sound like an expert! Wikipedia FTW!!)

Add some proper sources and you could EXPAND the Wikipedia article...

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Organ technical data
Date: 6 Nov 2008 16:17:13
Message: <49135ed9@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>   Dulciana 8' (incomplete rank)
>
> A rather pleasent, quiet stop, with a mellow tone. Sounds almost
> "distant". It is "incomplete" in that there are no pipes for the bottom
> octave.

Spanish "dulce" = English "sweet".

Italian, or whatever language the stop names come from, is probably similar.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 6 Nov 2008 17:18:24
Message: <49136d30@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>> So, the string division on this organ has dozens of stops?
>
> This is from the famous Wanamaker, the largest playable pipe organ in
> the entire world. And yes, it is famed for its *vast* string division.
> (The organ I played doesn't even have a single string stop. But then,
> it's a *church* organ rather than a *theatre* organ.)

To illustrate:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ02Lu8Zuzw

[Be sure to click the high-quality one. The sound is a bit better.]

Doesn't sound much like a "pipe organ", does it? Sounds more like an
entire orchestra. That's the difference. It's designed to emulate other
instruments as well as being a pipe organ.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/