POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Codec chaos Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Codec chaos (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Codec chaos
Date: 1 Nov 2008 16:09:52
Message: <490cb790$1@news.povray.org>
And so, today I installed FFDshow, and now it seems I have every codec
under the Sun! o_O

I used to use Huffyuv to compress my POV-Ray videos. As I remember it,
this used to make them ~20% to ~80% smaller. Well anyway, I just tried
that tonight on a video I'm working on, and it shrank the video down to
1/10th of its original size.

(OTOH, the video is actually rendered at 1/4 resolution and then scaled
up, so most of the pixels are actually the same colour.)

But then I tried some codec called "FFV1", and the video shrank to
1/100th of its original size! o_O

Weird thing: If I play a video compressed with Huffyuv or FFV1 in WMP,
the black background comes out dark gray, and there seems to be slightly
ghosting to the edges of the pixels. But if I load the video into
Virtual Dub and decompress it, and play the decompressed version in WMP,
it looks crispy-clear. Like, WTF?

Anyway, once I have some full-resolution videos, I might try playing
with lossy codecs. Until then... does anybody else have any good
recommendations for *lossless* video codecs?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless_data_compression#Video

--