POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reserved words redux Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Reserved words redux (Message 1 to 10 of 23)
From: Darren New
Subject: Reserved words redux
Date: 17 Oct 2008 15:06:18
Message: <48f8e22a$1@news.povray.org>
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
You know, I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a programming language
(that uses different fonts for different purposes. Something like
boldface for reserved words, italics for built-ins, so you could do
something like<br>
or something like that. Then you could use things like "in" and "do" as
variable names as well. :-)<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
</pre>

Post a reply to this message

> You know, I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a programming language
> (that uses different fonts for different purposes. Something like
> boldface for reserved words, italics for built-ins, so you could do
> something like
>
> *foreach* index *in *mylist *do *item += /length/(mylist[index])
>
> or something like that. Then you could use things like "in" and "do" as
> variable names as well. :-)

Yes, but that would imply that the set of reserved words is static. Hmm,
am I suffering from deja vu?

Post a reply to this message

> Yes, but that would imply that the set of reserved words is static.

No. It would imply anything in bold is a reserved word while anything in
regular font isn't.  Kind of like using different alphabets/fonts in
math to distinguish the variable "R" from the symbol meaning "Real numbers".

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

> You know, I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a programming language
> (that uses different fonts for different purposes. Something like
> boldface for reserved words, italics for built-ins, so you could do
> something like
>
> *foreach* index *in *mylist *do *item += /length/(mylist[index])
>
> or something like that. Then you could use things like "in" and "do" as
> variable names as well. :-)
>
> --
> Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

That would utterly suck.  Programming languages should be about meaning
and meaning is conveyed by words, not by how they are drawn or spelled.

Let external tools do any styling to the source text if you will.

Post a reply to this message

>> You know, I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a programming language
>> (that uses different fonts for different purposes. Something like
>> boldface for reserved words, italics for built-ins, so you could do
>> something like
>>
>> *foreach* index *in *mylist *do *item += /length/(mylist[index])
>>
>> or something like that. Then you could use things like "in" and "do"
>> as variable names as well. :-)
>>
>> --
>> Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
>>

> That would utterly suck.  Programming languages should be about meaning
> and meaning is conveyed by words, not by how they are drawn or spelled.

http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/
http://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/piet.html
http://www.ni.com/labview/
.
.
.

> Let external tools do any styling to the source text if you will.

Post a reply to this message

>>> You know, I'm kind of surprised I've never seen a programming
>>> language (that uses different fonts for different purposes. Something
>>> like boldface for reserved words, italics for built-ins, so you could
>>> do something like
>>>
>>> *foreach* index *in *mylist *do *item += /length/(mylist[index])
>>>
>>> or something like that. Then you could use things like "in" and "do"
>>> as variable names as well. :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
>>>

>> That would utterly suck.  Programming languages should be about
>> meaning and meaning is conveyed by words, not by how they are drawn or
>> spelled.
>>
> http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/
> http://www.dangermouse.net/esoteric/piet.html
> http://www.ni.com/labview/

Yeah, if you want a Turing Complete toy or brainfuck...

Post a reply to this message