POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reserved words redux Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Reserved words redux (Message 21 to 23 of 23)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Reserved words redux
Date: 19 Oct 2008 16:15:01
Message: <web.48fb944fb94774933906a7480@news.povray.org>
> nemesis wrote:
> > I think you devoted too much time to the guy's ideas.
>
> It's hard to tell without looking.

I specially enjoy reading him bashing physicists and astrophysics:
http://www.rebelscience.org/Crackpots/notorious.htm
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics/browse_thread/thread/2d91a6c420a0bcb0/3faf25bc7bdaa0de

I specially like this quote:
"It is a pity Dr. Sagan passed away because I liked him, crackpot or not."

fairly amusing. :)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 19 Oct 2008 17:02:33
Message: <48fba069$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> fairly amusing. :)

I didn't really look at anything beyond his computer stuff. I do like
this one:

"This gem of pseudoscience comes from one of the most celebrated
physicists of the twentieth century."

Um, and you, in calling him a crackpot, are obviously more celebrated? I
mean, I'm not one of those who believes in Proof By Authority, but I'll
take the word of "most celebrated physicists" over "never studied
physics" any time. Especially when the celebrated results lead directly
to the technology I have sitting in front of me.

"Second, dt/dt is always the same (1) regardless of the actual rate of
velocity."  I'm pretty sure this isn't true, actually, is it?

Indeed, that whole page is silly. First he says you can't have a time
dimension, because otherwise things wouldn't move. Then he says "people
talk about time changing, but time doesn't change."  Well, yes. You're
confusing two meanings of "time" there, and complaining that the popular
meaning doesn't match the physics meaning. So?

Heh. "Time does not dilate (as if time could change!). On the contrary,
it is the clocks that slow down (for whatever reason) resulting in
longer measured intervals." Riiiight. He's another one of these
crackpots who attempt proof by vigorous assertion.

""Time dilation" = process slowdown. There is no causal link between the
two. They are equivalent."  Um, yes. Clearly he doesn't understand what
is even meant by "time dialation".

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

> Heh. "Time does not dilate (as if time could change!). On the contrary,
> it is the clocks that slow down (for whatever reason) resulting in
> longer measured intervals." Riiiight. He's another one of these
> crackpots who attempt proof by vigorous assertion.

A master troll indeed.  Such creatures are amusing in their natural
habitat... :)