POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Have I missed something? Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:19:13 EDT (-0400)
  Have I missed something? (Message 21 to 30 of 39)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Have I missed something?
Date: 11 Oct 2008 11:08:48
Message: <48f0c180$1@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:

> Ever seen anything written in C#?

Nope.

> VB.NET?

Not knowingly.

> Ever seen any website with .aspx pages?

Ah. *That* I have seen.

(I thought ASP was some kind of scripting language. I didn't realise it
had anything to do with .NET.)

>> Maybe .NET code is just less "visible" somehow?
>
> .Net isn't a language.

Well true, but even so, you don't often hear somebody say "hey, I'm
working on this thing written in C#..."

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Gail
Date: 11 Oct 2008 11:20:13
Message: <48f0c42d@news.povray.org>
> Gail wrote:
>
>> Ever seen anything written in C#?
>
> Nope.

The job market in the UK must be very different it both here and US.
Probably close to half of the programming jobs I see these days ask for C#.

Thing with .net is that if you're working on a machines that has the .net
framework installed (and I believe everything past XP does by default), you
won't know that you're running a .net app. It's not like Java where you can
see the VM running in task manager (or sometimes have a popup in the task
bar). That's how it's supposed to be. It's supposed to be seamless and to
not bother the end user with anything they don't need to know.

I know your machine has .net on because we've had conversations before on
free C# compilers and I recall you finding the framework folder.

>> Ever seen any website with .aspx pages?
>
> Ah. *That* I have seen.
>
> (I thought ASP was some kind of scripting language. I didn't realise it
> had anything to do with .NET.)

It's a server-side dynamic page setup like php. It uses the .net framework
on the server. .aspx pages are asp.net, pages with just the .asp extension
are the older-style asp (active server pages)
ASP.NET pages are written in one of the .net languages, most commonly C# or
VB)

> Well true, but even so, you don't often hear somebody say "hey, I'm
> working on this thing written in C#..."

Most of the developers I know personally work in C#. I'd put it up with
Java, php, perl and C++ for popularity and usage, and that's not just
hobbyist.
It's far more used than VB or delphi. (and most VB these days is VB.NET
anyway)

Post a reply to this message