POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 10000 BC Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  10000 BC (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Warp
Subject: 10000 BC
Date: 7 Oct 2008 15:02:03
Message: <48ebb22a@news.povray.org>
(Minor spoilers follow.)

  This must be the movie with the biggest amount of anachronisms I have ever
seen. It feels like they were deliberately trying to put as many anachronism
as they could in the movie, plus other inaccuracies. Artistic license is
understandable, but there are some limits to willing suspension of disbelief.

  The movie is set approximately 12000 years ago. A few examples:

- Mammoths and sabre-tooth tigers in the African deserts? The tigers could
  perhaps be conceivable, but mammoths? No way. They couldn't even have
  survived there. In fact, they might not even have existed in this era
  (although the "10000 BC" might just be a rounded up approximation).

- Mammoths didn't gallop. They ran in the same way as elephants.

- The first Egyptian pyramids were not constructed until about 3000 BC.

- Overall, complex cities and buildings were not developed until about
  that time, ie. 3000 BC.

- Terror birds most probably went extint over a million years ago, and are
  anyways geographically completely misplaced: They lived in South America
  only.

- Horses were not domesticated until approximately 4500 BC.

- Sailing ships were first developed approximately at 4000 BC. They were
  not used for trade until as late as about 1000 BC.

- Chili peppers and corn seeds. Yes, you read right: Chili peppers and
  corn seeds. In Africa. In 10000 BC. In reality they were brought from
  America in the 16th century AD.

- Metal working was not developed until about 5500 BC.

- Papyrus was not invented until the first centuries BC.

  And this is not to talk about the whacky geography in the movie...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message