POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Getting rooted Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:12 EDT (-0400)
  Getting rooted (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Brendan
Subject: Getting rooted
Date: 24 Sep 2008 11:33:59
Message: <pan.2008.09.24.15.33.52.341000@comcast.com>
Hello, I was around here starting around ten years ago before I graduated
from high school. Now I've graduated from university and gotten a job and
an apartment.

At first, I had an undeclared engineering major and then selected computer
engineering. After a while, I decided that I'd rather be in the
university's college of science and changed to their imaging science
program. It was more to my liking with things like optics, image
processing and color science and also went well with my minor in astronomy.

My graduation from university was two Mays ago. After having a nice break
from schooling, which I've done since 3 months of age, I got a temporary
position in March. It's a QC position at a nice little place in Vermont
that makes thin film light filters. They liked my work so my position
became permanent after four months.

While my position was temporary, I lived in a company apartment with
someone else from work who stayed there for the weekdays and went home on
the weekends in the next state.

In May, my sister had my baby niece. I've seen her twice when I visited my
parents in New York and when they came to help me move to my present
apartment.

In early June, I went on a weekend camping trip with a friend and some of
his friends at a park in the Grand Isles. It was a hot weekend, so we
spent a lot of time at a boat launch by Lake Champlain. Here's my favorite
picture from that trip.

http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v283/193/18/24401928/n24401928_32818076_5701.jpg

Once my position became permanent at the end of June, I found a room at a
big old house in the same village. It was the landlord's own place that he
shared with a friend of his. It had three floors with a large vegetarian
kitchen, hardwood floors and high ceilings everywhere. My room had a small
closet, a view of a mountain and a chandelier.

Some people were wondering why I'd move into a place with a vegetarian
kitchen, so I told them I'd just eat meat by going out or having it at
work.

Someone else moved into another room there on the same day, but ended up
being kicked out for being a drunk arm-twisting pothead who never returned
the money we lent to him. His room smelled of whatever he smoked for
weeks after he left. At least I lost only six dollars.

I had a friend from university visit me for a weekend to go hiking up the
mountain and to go to a summer company party. The climb was only a half
hour and we got a nice view of the village. My father showed up to go to
the party with us, which was outside under a big tent at bed & breakfast
in the country.

Last month, the landlord told me that they were going to seal off the
second and third floors due to high heating costs.

The heating consisted of a furnace and two tanks of oil. There was also an
old coal boiler and traces of coal in the basement. Now they have a small
wood stove attached to their fireplace. They were going to try solar
heating but they said the walls of the house wasn't right for it.

The new place I found in the same village is a second floor one bedroom
apartment with a bedroom that has a long closet, a living room, kitchen
with propane stove, mud room and a large bathroom. The neighbor downstairs
planted a lot of nice flowers and vegetables around the house. There's a
deck with stairs to the ground outside the mud room in the back.

Most of the boxes are in the mud room, so I'll use the long closet for my
psycho light shows with a laser star projector and anything else I may
find. I keep my sleeping bag in the closet, which is big enough for
someone to sleep in.

I had been here for only a week and half and it feels like it was home
forever. It's the most private place I've ever been in because I have the
whole apartment to myself. Now my father is happy that I can cook meat.

The propane for the cooking and heating was supposed to be set up this
morning, but they forget to write down my appointment in the schedule and
two of their trucks are down, so they will try again tomorrow.

In the meantime, some projects I worked on in POV-Ray are linear and
circular geological timelines and renderings of polyhedra exported from
other programs.

Brendan

Post a reply to this message