POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Very long post Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:09:24 EDT (-0400)
  Very long post (Message 21 to 30 of 50)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Very long post
Date: 25 Sep 2008 17:32:34
Message: <48dc0372$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Typically, it's done with regular expressions. And typically, "-37" is
>> two tokens in programming language compilers, at least.
>
> OK, and then is there only one token for "minus", or are there two for
> unary and binary minus?  ie does the parser decide or the tokeniser?

Typically, it's one token. You can't tell (in a language like Pascal) as
you're parsing tokens. You have to get to the syntax tree before
figuring out whether it's a unary or binary minus.

In APL, there are two minus signs, one for the operator and one you put
in front of negative numbers. Which helps more than you'd think because
all operators are right-associative.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message