POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sometimes, Haskell wins Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:12:23 EDT (-0400)
  Sometimes, Haskell wins (Message 21 to 30 of 33)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 3 Messages >>>
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Subject: Re: Sometimes, Haskell wins
Date: 24 Sep 2008 17:10:26
Message: <48daacc2@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>   Well, when it was a pretty new thing, I heard that # in the name was
>> actually four + symbols, so it's C++++, ie. "C# is to C++ what C++ is
>> to C".
>
> Given that it's pronounced "C Sharp", I expect it's because it's half a
> note higher than C. Like, on a piano keyboard.

That's the one.

C++ is C postincremented by 1 in C syntax.
C# is C incremented by one semitone in musical syntax.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 24 Sep 2008 17:15:00
Message: <web.48daace956396d9e773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Well, when it was a pretty new thing, I heard that # in the name was
> > actually four + symbols, so it's C++++, ie. "C# is to C++ what C++ is
> > to C".
>
> Given that it's pronounced "C Sharp", I expect it's because it's half a
> note higher than C. Like, on a piano keyboard.

Yes.  Java decided to diss C/C++ by dropping any mention to it in the name, but
Microsoft in their infinite marketing wisdom felt they should instead try to
get to the hearts of old C/C++ folks.  They also catered for buying managers by
substituting the irrelevant term "bytecode" for "managed code":  you know, if
it's managed, it knows its place. :)

Post a reply to this message