POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mechanical beauty Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Mechanical beauty (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Mechanical beauty
Date: 23 Sep 2008 05:03:48
Message: <48d8b0f4$1@news.povray.org>
>> When I looked at this device, "simple" wasn't what came to mind... ;-)
>
> Hehe yes, I'd never have thought you could make a spectrum analyser
> mechanically!

IIRC there is prior art in this direction - I saw a machine in the
London Science Museum that does this. Victorian, I think. I forget
exactly how it works; suffice it to say it seems "obvious" after you've
been told. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 09:15:18 +0200, "m_a_r_c" <jac### [at] wanadoofr>
wrote:

>Making a  web search about a mid 70's band from Quebec called 'Harmonium', I
>stumbled on that thing.
>http://www.tatjavanvark.nl/harmonium/

Yes, beautiful.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> When I looked at this device, "simple" wasn't what came to mind... ;-)
>>
>> Hehe yes, I'd never have thought you could make a spectrum analyser
>> mechanically!
>
> IIRC there is prior art in this direction - I saw a machine in the
> London Science Museum that does this. Victorian, I think. I forget
> exactly how it works; suffice it to say it seems "obvious" after you've
> been told. ;-)

You mean Charles Babagge's Analytical Machine?

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/images/I031/10301732.aspx

I'm sure you know the importance of Babagge's work that led to today's
computers.  And Ada Lovelace...

Post a reply to this message

>>> Hehe yes, I'd never have thought you could make a spectrum analyser
>>> mechanically!
>>
>> IIRC there is prior art in this direction - I saw a machine in the
>> London Science Museum that does this. Victorian, I think. I forget
>> exactly how it works; suffice it to say it seems "obvious" after
>> you've been told. ;-)
>
> You mean Charles Babagge's Analytical Machine?

Actually no - this device was hard-wired for the Fourier transform.

> I'm sure you know the importance of Babagge's work that led to today's
> computers.  And Ada Lovelace...

Well, yeah, even a moron like me knows of Babagge's work...

The computer, more than any other invention in history, appears to be a
device that no single person can really be said to have "invented". It
really was the result of many, many great minds.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Well, yeah, even a moron like me knows of Babagge's work...

You're not a moron, just hopelessly misinformed. ;)

Post a reply to this message

> You're not a moron, just hopelessly misinformed. ;)

Heh... there's a difference? :-}

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/