POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Multitasking Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:36 EDT (-0400)
  Multitasking (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Gail
Subject: Re: Multitasking
Date: 18 Sep 2008 09:51:13
Message: <48d25cd1@news.povray.org>
"Tom Austin" <taustin> wrote in message news:48d24a3c$1@news.povray.org...
> Invisible wrote:
>>> QEMU virtual machine running the Windows XP installation procedure
>>> (which now has only "37 minute remaining")
>>
>> Only "24 minutes" now - yay!
>

> I like the time left shown for copy in Windows - or a install.

I had a copy yesterday (copying from a shadow copy 'previous version'), that
said it would take 65782 years to complete. I went to get coffee and it was
done by the time I got back.

Post a reply to this message

> I had a copy yesterday (copying from a shadow copy 'previous version'),
> that said it would take 65782 years to complete. I went to get coffee
> and it was done by the time I got back.

LOL!

That's just *advanced*! I've never seen it get it quite that wrong...

Post a reply to this message

>> I had a copy yesterday (copying from a shadow copy 'previous
>> version'), that said it would take 65782 years to complete. I went to
>> get coffee and it was done by the time I got back.
>
> LOL!
>
> That's just *advanced*! I've never seen it get it quite that wrong...

I did, even negative times. It happens when people count the number of
bytes to copy in 32 bit integers, or something like that.

Post a reply to this message

andrel nous illumina en ce 2008-09-18 19:31 -->
> On 18-Sep-08 16:26, Invisible wrote:
>> Gail wrote:
>>
>>> I had a copy yesterday (copying from a shadow copy 'previous
>>> version'), that said it would take 65782 years to complete. I went to
>>> get coffee and it was done by the time I got back.
>>
>> LOL!
>>
>> That's just *advanced*! I've never seen it get it quite that wrong...
>
> I did, even negative times. It happens when people count the number of
> bytes to copy in 32 bit integers, or something like that.
Or take the time it took for a single, huge, file, and multiply that by the
number of files left to process, with an average size of less than 10K...

--
Alain
Coming soon: Windows for Nintendo!

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail
Date: 19 Sep 2008 03:56:42
Message: <48d35b3a@news.povray.org>
> Gail wrote:
>
>> I had a copy yesterday (copying from a shadow copy 'previous version'),
>> that said it would take 65782 years to complete. I went to get coffee and
>> it was done by the time I got back.
>
> LOL!
>
> That's just *advanced*! I've never seen it get it quite that wrong...

I suspect it had something to do with the copy coming from the shadow copy.
Usually I get fairly 'accurate' time estimates on copying.
I say fairly, cause Vista spends the first half of the copy calculating the
time and hence when it finally does give a time it's reasonably accurate

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 22 Sep 2008 13:55:17
Message: <48d7dc05$1@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:

> I had a copy yesterday (copying from a shadow copy 'previous version'),
> that said it would take 65782 years to complete. I went to get coffee
> and it was done by the time I got back.

And your boss won't complain that you're taking too long coffee breaks?
Can I come to work there too?

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 4 Oct 2008 18:33:12
Message: <48e7ef28@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> One of the more amusing things I've seen in my career is the Outlook
> 2000 installer. When you install it, the progress bar slowly fills up
> (multiple times). But when you uninstall it, the bar starts full and
> gradually empties instead!

All MSI-based installers do that when rolling back an installation (if it
fails halfway, once you close the error message it undoes what it did and
the progressbar goes backwards). But I never saw it on an uninstaller...