POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coolest thing EVER! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:02 EDT (-0400)
  Coolest thing EVER! (Message 11 to 20 of 112)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Coolest thing EVER!
Date: 31 Aug 2008 12:59:42
Message: <48bacdfe$1@news.povray.org>
>> My PC at work is barely powerful enough to run *one* OS, let alone
>> two. It _would_ be quite useful for test purposes though.
>
> That's one of the main reasons I went for a quad core with lots of
> memory when I upgraded.

I can see how that would be the case. ;-)

>> However, the idea of being able to just plug in a USB stick and click
>> an icon and instantly have a complete Linux environment set up exactly
>> the way I want it is... pretty neat, actually.
>
> You might have problems with IO speed if you do that. USB is a lot
> slower than SATA.

Depends what you want to do. Running Damn Small Linux from a USB drive
is probably *faster* than running it from a CD-ROM due to the vastly
superior seek time. (CD-ROM drives typically have a horrible seek time!)
Also, DSL is based on KNOPPIX and uses a cloop compressed filesystem
image, so there's less data to shift (but more CPU load).

If I get bored enough maybe I'll benchmark it. But either way, it's a
trivial matter to copy a folder off the USB drive and onto a spare
folder on the local HD, run it for a while, and then just delete it when
you're done. That's about the easiest install/uninstall procedure
imaginable! ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/