POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Double precision Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:30 EDT (-0400)
  Double precision (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Double precision
Date: 24 Aug 2008 08:21:28
Message: <48b15248$1@news.povray.org>
Unfortunately Wikipedia doesn't seem to have much to say about double
precision floating point arithmetic. Can anybody tell me what the
smallest (positive) number you can "reliably" take the reciprocol of is?
("Reliably" as in "with some degree of numerical precision".)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Unfortunately Wikipedia doesn't seem to have much to say about double
> precision floating point arithmetic. Can anybody tell me what the
> smallest (positive) number you can "reliably" take the reciprocol of is?
> ("Reliably" as in "with some degree of numerical precision".)

2^-1022, I believe.  This is the smallest positive number that can be
represented by a double.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

>> Unfortunately Wikipedia doesn't seem to have much to say about double
>> precision floating point arithmetic. Can anybody tell me what the
>> smallest (positive) number you can "reliably" take the reciprocol of
>> is? ("Reliably" as in "with some degree of numerical precision".)
>>

> 2^-1022, I believe.  This is the smallest positive number that can be
> represented by a double.

Is that a normal or a denormal? (If I'm understanding this correctly,
denormals are less precise.)

Also, I guess the reciprocol of that ought to be 2^1022. Is that also
within range?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> 2^-1022, I believe.  This is the smallest positive number that can be
>> represented by a double.
>
> Is that a normal or a denormal? (If I'm understanding this correctly,
> denormals are less precise.)

No clue, I'm not familiar with denormal numbers.

> Also, I guess the reciprocol of that ought to be 2^1022. Is that also
> within range?

Yes, the range for the exponent is -1022 through 1023.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

> Unfortunately Wikipedia doesn't seem to have much to say about double
> precision floating point arithmetic.

This one does: