POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager (Message 22 to 31 of 51)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: This is why Windows doesn't need a package manager
Date: 18 Aug 2008 17:00:57
Message: <48a9e309$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> True, you could do that, and override library paths with LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> environment variables....But you've just helped me make my case. :-)

Yeah. Funny how people say "you've just helped me make my case" like
having a discussion automatically means you must disagree with them. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 18 Aug 2008 17:10:12
Message: <48a9e534$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>>
>>> No. It succeeds if it does exactly that. I didn't say "fail"
>>> anywhere. If you're referring to the blog post calling it a "fail",
>>> well, I think you've missed his point.

>> (I hate RDP not always catching the key-up. :-)
>>
>> Yes, I suspect the "long use stable libraries" shouldn't be adding
>> important features. If you have features in 2.10 that you can't
>> possibly get away without using, then I wouldn't call 2.6 the "long
>> use stable libraries."  But that's just terminology.
>>

> It's not features that the GTK people can't get away without using, it's
> features that Mozilla wants to use. This complaint is not that much
> different, on the surface, then someone who wants to install a DX 9 game
> on a Windows computer with DX8...you mean, I bought the game, but I have
> to install something else too?

Sure. But DX9 ships with the game. :-)

> I don't think, and I could be wrong here
> cause I don't follow GTK, that GTK has ever released a 'long term
> support' version of their library.

Dunno. I wasn't the one that first said "long use stable libraries."

It's also kind of odd that he'd be talking about putting Firefox 3 on
"production machines" without upgrading stuff. Maybe it's just me, but
either your system is working (in which case, why upgrade the UI
component) or you have someone's random desktop machine they're using to
surf random sites with (in which case why gripe that the package manager
downloaded a bunch of packages?).  I mean, lots of businesses (banks,
other customer service places, etc) use web browsers to get into their
systems, but why would you want to put firefox3 on such a box?

> All I read in the blog post was "I want to use a older distro that the
> package manager maintenance  crew probably aren't supporting anymore,

Yeah. Good thing agreeing with the guy wasn't my point in giving the
example. :-)