POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Strange GPU Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Strange GPU (Message 15 to 24 of 34)
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Subject: Re: Strange GPU
Date: 18 Aug 2008 11:36:51
Message: <op.uf29nnnl7bxctx@e6600>
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:25:30 +0200, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

>>> Surely that's a rather rare failure mode on a graphics card?
>>  Not if it has been overheating.
>
> True, but since the GPU generates far more heat than a block of RAM
> does...

The GPU also has far better cooling. Modern high-performance RAM can get
rather hot, particularly video RAM.

>>  Have you checked the temperature of the video RAM?
>
> I don't have a way to do that.

Try touching a VRAM chip (very briefly) while the game is running.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 18 Aug 2008 11:39:49
Message: <48a997c5$1@news.povray.org>
>> True, but since the GPU generates far more heat than a block of RAM
>> does...
>
> The GPU also has far better cooling. Modern high-performance RAM can get
> rather hot, particularly video RAM.

Well, if they don't bother fitting cooling to a component, that
presumably means they don't think it's necessary. ;-)

> Try touching a VRAM chip (very briefly) while the game is running.

Wouldn't simply having the case open radically alter the operating
temperature of the components inside? ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Actual chip core temperature of 55 degrees seems fine to me,

Compare it to your CPU temperature. I dunno about my GPU, but my CPU is
close to 55 just sitting idle.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message