POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A real good deal Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  A real good deal (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: A real good deal
Date: 16 Aug 2008 09:36:21
Message: <48a6d7d5$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147415/show_product_accessories

Riiiiight...

Won't by buying *that* printer then! ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: somebody
Subject: Re: A real good deal
Date: 16 Aug 2008 10:00:31
Message: <48a6dd7f$1@news.povray.org>

> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147415/show_product_accessories
>

> Riiiiight...
>
> Won't by buying *that* printer then! ;-)

Depends on how long they last (and if that's favourable, your printing
volume).

Would it seem like a more attractive deal to you if the printer cost, say,

Post a reply to this message

> Won't by buying *that* printer then! ;-)

That's the game. Selling the ink.  They practically give the printers away.

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 16 Aug 2008 11:28:34
Message: <48a6f222$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147415/show_product_accessories
>

> Riiiiight...
>
> Won't by buying *that* printer then! ;-)

And how full are the ink cartridges that actually come with the printer?

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Aug 2008 13:14:23
Message: <48a70aef@news.povray.org>
>> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/147415/show_product_accessories
>>

>> Riiiiight...
>>
>> Won't by buying *that* printer then! ;-)
>>

> And how full are the ink cartridges that actually come with the printer?

This *particular* printer doesn't take cartridges. It takes blocks of
solid ink. (It's wax-based.) This has the nice effect that you can
visually *see* exactly how much ink is left.

But yeah, I get what you're saying. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 16 Aug 2008 14:08:39
Message: <48a717a7$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> This *particular* printer doesn't take cartridges. It takes blocks of
> solid ink. (It's wax-based.)

It's also nice that it doesn't waste a lot of ink "cleaning the jets" or
some nonsense.  Having seen the output from such printers, it's really
nice.  If the "1k" on there means 1000 pages, that's not too bad.  I am
a bit amused that some of the colors cost slightly less.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Aug 2008 14:53:30
Message: <48a7222a$1@news.povray.org>
>> This *particular* printer doesn't take cartridges. It takes blocks of
>> solid ink. (It's wax-based.)
>
> It's also nice that it doesn't waste a lot of ink "cleaning the jets" or
> some nonsense.  Having seen the output from such printers, it's really
> nice.  If the "1k" on there means 1000 pages, that's not too bad.  I am
> a bit amused that some of the colors cost slightly less.

We don't have this specific model, but we have a similar Xerox printer
at work. It's nice being able to see how much ink is left. Also produces
*very* saturated colours when you ask it to.

However...

Turning the printer on wastes ink. It's really much better if the
printer is turned on permanently, since each time it powers up, it
wastes some ink.

Also, you cannot move the printer while it's turned on. (Because there
would be hot liquid wax sloshing around inside it.) Some fool at work
did this, and it took me about 8 cleaning cycles to get it to print
properly again. (Obviously, this wastes quite a bit of ink.) The correct
procedure - not that anybody thought to ask *me* - is to turn the
printer off and leave it to cool for 30 minutes before attempting to
move it. There's also a special shutdown option for "I'm shutting this
down because I want to move it".

Also... pale colours come out a little speckled, like on an inkjet.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/