POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tar Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Tar (Message 11 to 20 of 22)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Tar
Date: 7 Aug 2008 12:30:51
Message: <489b233b$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:54:44 -0400, Warp wrote:

>   I really can't understand why precisely cygwin is used to port unix
> programs to Windows. Cygwin binaries rely on a bunch of dlls nobody has.

I've never had a problem running cygwin as long as you run the cygwin
installer from cygwin.org.  That includes everything you need and even
resolves the dependencies so you can select the tar & gzip executables
only and it'll install what it needs.

What I don't understand is why people distribute an executable for cygwin
without mentioning "you need cygwin to run this" and a link to the site.

Jim

Post a reply to this message