POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I growing a tinfoil hat? Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Am I growing a tinfoil hat? (Message 91 to 100 of 135)
From: Jim Charter
Subject: Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat?
Date: 10 Aug 2008 08:30:48
Message: <489edf78$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> There is also "skimming" to take into account.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skimming_%28credit_card_fraud%29#Skimming
> Cash is anonymous and safe to use. Also it is quicker to get the transaction
> through a till if the shop is using a dial up connection.

Yeah the speed/convenience does depend on circumstance.  For instance it
cuts two ways with me.  At the gas pump the card is faster and more
convenient than having to walk some cash over to the bullet-proof booth,
maybe wait in a line, overpay, then walk back, pump the gas, then back
over to the cashier to get any change.  But in the taxi, waiting for a
customer to pay with a card slows things way down.  Utterly frustrating
to loose a fare to another cab because you can't get your current people
out of the car fast enough.  And then of course there is the wait to get
your receipts from the dispatcher at the end of the shift.

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 08:30:20 -0400, Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:

>Yeah the speed/convenience does depend on circumstance.  For instance it
>cuts two ways with me.  At the gas pump the card is faster and more
>convenient than having to walk some cash over to the bullet-proof booth,
>maybe wait in a line, overpay, then walk back, pump the gas, then back
>over to the cashier to get any change.  But in the taxi, waiting for a
>customer to pay with a card slows things way down.  Utterly frustrating
>to loose a fare to another cab because you can't get your current people
>out of the car fast enough.  And then of course there is the wait to get
>your receipts from the dispatcher at the end of the shift.

Here we still fill up with fuel then pay. Some places do have card facilities at
the pumps though. "Pre-pay", it is a terrible world :(
My pet peeve is people who pay for "small change" shopping with a card. But then
I'm getting old and cantankerous ;)

--

Regards
     Stephen