POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Am I growing a tinfoil hat? Server Time
8 Sep 2024 09:16:58 EDT (-0400)
  Am I growing a tinfoil hat? (Message 131 to 135 of 135)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: Am I growing a tinfoil hat?
Date: 18 Aug 2008 07:27:19
Message: <op.uf2x4jiac3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 15 Aug 2008 19:04:16 +0100, Jim Henderson
<nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

> On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:08:45 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> And lo on Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:29:52 +0100, Jim Henderson
>> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:
>>
>>> Was "make it *better* than the competition" in there anywhere?
>>
>> I guess that's covered by the "don't let someone sell both coke *and*
>> pepsi". You don't need to make a better product if you don't present the
>> consumer with a choice.
>
> Heh, well, I know for many of the fast food chains, they don't have a
> choice, because they're actually owned by Pepsico or Coca-Cola.  I used
> to work for a company that did outsourced benefits management (for both
> companies, oddly enough), and seeing the brands that came in with those
> agreements was surprising.

Kind of the current joys with the privatised water companies here where
you can choose to have your water supplied by Company A, Company A or
Company A. But hey at least the fast-food companies are agreeing to this
;-)

>> As an example my mother often complains she can't pick up a certain
>> brand of sauce at her main shop supermarket and has to go elsewhere; I'm
>> running an internal bet as to how long it'll be before she either starts
>> doing the main shop in this other store or ends up buying a different
>> brand.
>
> That'd be an interesting thing to look at....

Indeed something that should have been carried out by the Competition
Commision in their last study if their brief wasn't so restricted. Oh yes
there's plenty of competition between supermarkets provided you do one
third of your shopping in Sainsbury's, one-third in Tesco, and the
remainding third at Asda. Doesn't everyone shop this way?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:27:45 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:

>> Heh, well, I know for many of the fast food chains, they don't have a
>> choice, because they're actually owned by Pepsico or Coca-Cola.  I used
>> to work for a company that did outsourced benefits management (for both
>> companies, oddly enough), and seeing the brands that came in with those
>> agreements was surprising.
>
> Kind of the current joys with the privatised water companies here where
> you can choose to have your water supplied by Company A, Company A or
> Company A. But hey at least the fast-food companies are agreeing to this
> ;-)

Yeah, it's a nice "choice" isn't it?

>> That'd be an interesting thing to look at....
>
> Indeed something that should have been carried out by the Competition
> Commision in their last study if their brief wasn't so restricted. Oh
> yes there's plenty of competition between supermarkets provided you do
> one third of your shopping in Sainsbury's, one-third in Tesco, and the
> remainding third at Asda. Doesn't everyone shop this way?

Well, I know we do most of our grocery shopping at CostCo, with specialty
items from specialty shops, and fresh produce from the local supermarket
(buying produce in bulk doesn't make sense, it just tends to go off).

Jim

Post a reply to this message