POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Playstation games on PC. Possible? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Playstation games on PC. Possible? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Warp
Subject: Playstation games on PC. Possible?
Date: 4 Aug 2008 12:30:57
Message: <48972ec1@news.povray.org>
I know this might not be the best forum to ask about this, but maybe
some people here will know.

  I tried the pSX emulator, and it seems to work like a charm.

  However, I'm not a big fan of pirating games, so I was wondering if
Playstation CDs are normal CDs and work normally in a PC CD drive. Some
game shops still sell Playstation games, so I was thinking that I could
actually buy some, assuming I can play them with my PC.

  pSX seems to have the option to emulate the Playstation CD drive from
the regular CD drive of the PC, but without an actual Playstation game CD
I can't be absolutely sure that if I just go and buy a PS game it will
work like that. (pSX documentation is rather sparse.)

  Does anyone know about this?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   I know this might not be the best forum to ask about this, but maybe
> some people here will know.
>
>   I tried the pSX emulator, and it seems to work like a charm.
>
>   However, I'm not a big fan of pirating games, so I was wondering if
> Playstation CDs are normal CDs and work normally in a PC CD drive. Some
> game shops still sell Playstation games, so I was thinking that I could
> actually buy some, assuming I can play them with my PC.
>
>   pSX seems to have the option to emulate the Playstation CD drive from
> the regular CD drive of the PC, but without an actual Playstation game CD
> I can't be absolutely sure that if I just go and buy a PS game it will
> work like that. (pSX documentation is rather sparse.)
>
>   Does anyone know about this?

Yes, Playstation CDs are readable by most drives, and pSX does have a
plugin to allow for reading from any drive, physical or emulated. I've
used it to replay Tomb Raider and Colony Wars.

Which plugin, I'm not sure at the moment. I'll check when I'm back at a
my computer and have a free moment.

What you have to remember is that, because it's emulating the
Playstation, some games will have some pretty odd glitches. From memory,
FF:Tactics wasn't one of those, but I think several of the other RPG
games had graphical issues at times. How much that has improved in the
last few years I just don't know.

Post a reply to this message

>   However, I'm not a big fan of pirating games, so I was wondering if
> Playstation CDs are normal CDs and work normally in a PC CD drive.

How do you think the pirates rip the CDs to put online otherwise? :)