POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random C craziness Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:24:58 EDT (-0400)
  Random C craziness (Message 5 to 14 of 34)
<<< Previous 4 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Random C craziness
Date: 24 Jul 2008 08:27:06
Message: <4888751a@news.povray.org>
>> cont is a pointer to a function that is expected to return a pointer
>> to a function.  The code here causes a series of functions to be
>> called, each one specifying another function to be called afterwards
>> by returning the address of the function to be called.
>>

> I was thinking the same, but I can't seem to find the right type
> definition to make it work without casting to and from void*... Which is
> apparently illegal

This is example code, so it might not be literally runnable... (It might
be simplified somewhat.)

> I'm not too comfortable with function pointers though, so it's likely
> that I'm missing something here... Any hints?

Don't look at me! ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 24 Jul 2008 09:07:24
Message: <48887e8c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible a écrit :
>>> cont is a pointer to a function that is expected to return a pointer
>>> to a function.  The code here causes a series of functions to be
>>> called, each one specifying another function to be called afterwards
>>> by returning the address of the function to be called.
>>>

>> I was thinking the same, but I can't seem to find the right type
>> definition to make it work without casting to and from void*... Which
>> is apparently illegal
>
> This is example code, so it might not be literally runnable... (It might
> be simplified somewhat.)

Does it still provide the declaration of cont, by any chance?

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 24 Jul 2008 13:19:46
Message: <op.ues3q8fh7bxctx@e6600>
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:24:51 +0200, Vincent Le Chevalier
<gal### [at] libertyallsurfspamfr> wrote:
> I was thinking the same, but I can't seem to find the right type
> definition to make it work without casting to and from void*... Which is
> apparently illegal
> (http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/pointers-to-members.html#faq-33.8)

It is illegal because a 'void *' is a data pointer, not a function pointer.

On a related note, we do not know if the original code was supposed to be
standards-compliant or not, nor if it was supposed to be C or C++.

> Here's what I ended up with:
[...snipped...]

The "right" way to do it, assuming C++:
http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/057.htm