POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ohgodohgodohgod Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:21 EDT (-0400)
  Ohgodohgodohgod (Message 17 to 26 of 36)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: Ohgodohgodohgod
Date: 22 Jul 2008 22:03:37
Message: <48869179@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> Ah, ok, didn't know that. I did know that quite a lot of the things MS
> make have trouble running on an average machine when the software comes
> on the market. But that was not what you were referring to.

That's due to design, though.

You can spend 12 months optimizing something to run on current hardware,
or wait 18 months and the hardware will have caught up to the point that
noone cares anymore.

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 23 Jul 2008 03:31:01
Message: <4886de35$1@news.povray.org>
> a machine without a dedicated video system for handling stuff, while
> just opening the application would spike Windows at 70%+.

The spikes are pretty meaningless, because it depends on what setting you
have the update speed on in task manager.  And I suspect the "update speed"
is different on Linux.

Anyway, I want my OS to use 100% CPU when I instruct it to do something
immediately, that's why I spent good money on a fast processor.

Post a reply to this message