POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Back to the future (Message 91 to 100 of 234)
From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
Date: 24 Jul 2008 09:35:14
Message: <48888512$1@news.povray.org>

48884e9a$1@news.povray.org...

> But the data never exists as a whole in the first place in cheap cameras.

Actually it does exist, at least in Canon cameras. There's even a hack to
get the RAW data instead of the JPEG.
http://www.oyonale.com/blog/2008/03/hacking-cheap-canon-camera.html

>Also they would need to include some RAW conversion software with the
>camera, which needs writing.

I guess that Canon wrote RAW converters for its SLR models. Also, they
bundle a mountainload of crappy, useless "utilities" with the camera anyway,
so it's not like they're lacking developers. Really, this is a case study of
hardware being deliberately crippled through software for marketing reasons.

G.

Post a reply to this message