POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Back to the future Server Time
10 Oct 2024 21:17:40 EDT (-0400)
  Back to the future (Message 155 to 164 of 234)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Back to the future [~200KBbu]
Date: 30 Jul 2008 16:54:44
Message: <4890d514$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:54:09 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> I don't know about you, but every time *I* look at either the GIMP or
>>> PhotoShop, I can never figure out what magical trick I'm missing that
>>> lets you do the impressive stuff everybody else does. To me, it just
>>> seems to be a small set of pretty simple tools that don't appear to
>>> give you much power to do anything.
>>
>> ie, they allow you to do the "impossible". ;-)
>>
>> (which is my point - don't let the limits of what you know - or what
>> humankind collectively knows - define what is possible and what is not)
>
> And my point - which you seem hell-bent on ignoring - is that there is a
> difference between "we don't know if/how to do this" and "we know for a
> fact that this is impossible". :-P

Well, what fun would it be if I just agreed with you? ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 Jul 2008 16:56:17
Message: <4890d571$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:14:53 +0100, Phil Cook wrote:

> And lo on Tue, 29 Jul 2008 21:45:13 +0100, Jim Henderson
> <nos### [at] nospamcom> did spake, saying:

>>> ...so in other words, hypothetically the information might not be
>>> "gone". If that were indeed the case, it is at least plausible that
>>> somebody could possibly get it back, yes.
>>
>> Oh, the information could well be gone, but it could be reconstructed
>> from the available data.
>
> In that case the information hasn't really gone merely converted into
> another pattern?

Well, I'm talking about physical loss of "data bits", not about the use
of patterns to reconstruct it.  The bit pattern is gone. :-)

> For an example of destroyed information tell me the equation I used to
> derive the answer of 9.

no. ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message