POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data destruction Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Data destruction (Message 11 to 20 of 22)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Mueen Nawaz
Subject: Re: Data destruction
Date: 21 Jul 2008 12:23:55
Message: <4884b81b$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> You should take some photos. ;-)
>
> OMG, you're right! Damn, and I don't have a camera...

	I thought you did. What happened to it?

--
AAAAA - American Association Against Acronym Abuse

                     /\  /\               /\  /
                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 21 Jul 2008 12:24:57
Message: <4884b859$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>

>> You should take some photos. ;-)
>>

> What good are photos? I say videos! He could be the next Youtube star.
> Crushing CD's with maniacal laughter in the background. It would be great!

OMG Don't encourage him.
;-)

John

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Jul 2008 12:42:56
Message: <4884bc90$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:19:47 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> You should take some photos. ;-)
>
> OMG, you're right! Damn, and I don't have a camera...

There's always tomorrow. :-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Jul 2008 12:43:15
Message: <4884bca3$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:05:00 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>

>> You should take some photos. ;-)
>>

> What good are photos? I say videos! He could be the next Youtube star.
> Crushing CD's with maniacal laughter in the background. It would be
> great!

Oooh, I like the way you're thinking here.....

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 21 Jul 2008 16:11:13
Message: <4884ed61@news.povray.org>
Quote:

> Weeee... I just found a cake of those square mini-CDs, preprinted with
> some obsolete software of ours. I just shredded the whole lot. These
> preprinted ones seem much more "chunchy" than the CD-Rs I'm mostly
> destroying. And their small size appears to give them superior sonic
> qualities. The sound they produce is truly horriffic! :-D
>
> --
> http://blog.orphi.me.uk/
> http://www.zazzle.com/MathematicalOrchid*

You ARE recording it and putting in on youtube, I will assume?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jul 2008 03:46:04
Message: <4885903c$1@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:

> You ARE recording it and putting in on youtube, I will assume?

Heh. Why? It's almost certainly already there... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: John VanSickle
Date: 22 Jul 2008 07:31:00
Message: <4885c4f4@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Wooooooyeah!!
>
> My shiny new CD shredder has arrived. This is NOT your average little
> home shredder. This thing is BIG, it's HEAVY, and it makes an
> indescribably delightful sound as it CRUNCHES through helpless little
> CDs... Muhuhuhuhu! >:-D
>
> (Seriously - people have been giving me weird looks all afternoon.
> Possibly due to the transcendental look of glee on my face!)
>
> Guys, you seriously gotta try this thing...

The one we used in the Air Force merely ground everything off of one
side of the CD, down through the data layer.  The shaved off stuff was
reduced to a fine grit in order to preclude reconstruction.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jul 2008 07:49:38
Message: <4885c952$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:

> The one we used in the Air Force merely ground everything off of one
> side of the CD, down through the data layer.  The shaved off stuff was
> reduced to a fine grit in order to preclude reconstruction.

Ooo... powdered data. Shiny...

I dare say the Air Force has much more interesting stuff to dispose of
than I do. ;-) I'm a litle surprised to hear that they use anything as
modern as a CD though...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: John VanSickle
Date: 23 Jul 2008 07:47:48
Message: <48871a64@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> John VanSickle wrote:
>
>> The one we used in the Air Force merely ground everything off of one
>> side of the CD, down through the data layer.  The shaved off stuff was
>> reduced to a fine grit in order to preclude reconstruction.
>
> Ooo... powdered data. Shiny...
>
> I dare say the Air Force has much more interesting stuff to dispose of
> than I do. ;-) I'm a litle surprised to hear that they use anything as
> modern as a CD though...

Actually the desktop systems they buy for administration purposes are
generally the same stuff you can buy at any office supply store, and the
other administrative IT is generally at the same level.

The general rule is that if the military goes commercial off-the-shelf
(COTS) for something, it gets fairly recent technology at a fairly
decent price.

For some things, no commercial vendor makes it.  For these items, the
military has to contract out the manufacturing process, and generally
the design as well.  Proprietary designs abound.  Quantities are limited
(only items that are ubiquitous and in heavy use get more than a few
thousand made), so margins are high.  The design process takes so long
that the equipment, when finally fielded, can be a decade behind the
commercial world.

When I first entered the service (in 1984), a certain piece of
cryptographic equipment, which used vacuum tubes to generate its timing
signals, and magnetic core logic to generate the right ones and zeros,
was then nearing the end of its service life (I saw it in use until
1988).  It took up an entire equipment rack (six feet tall, nineteen
inches wide).  All it did was encrypt/decrypt digital data at a rate
measurable in kilohertz at the very fastest, but in the 1950's when it
first saw service, it was considered more than adequate.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 23 Jul 2008 07:51:38
Message: <48871b4a@news.povray.org>
>> I'm a litle surprised to hear that they use anything as
>> modern as a CD though...
>
> Actually the desktop systems they buy for administration purposes are
> generally the same stuff you can buy at any office supply store, and the
> other administrative IT is generally at the same level.

Mmm, OK.

> For some things, no commercial vendor makes it.  For these items, the
> military has to contract out the manufacturing process, and generally
> the design as well.  Proprietary designs abound.  Quantities are limited
> (only items that are ubiquitous and in heavy use get more than a few
> thousand made), so margins are high.  The design process takes so long
> that the equipment, when finally fielded, can be a decade behind the
> commercial world.
>
> When I first entered the service (in 1984), a certain piece of
> cryptographic equipment, which used vacuum tubes to generate its timing
> signals, and magnetic core logic to generate the right ones and zeros,
> was then nearing the end of its service life (I saw it in use until
> 1988).  It took up an entire equipment rack (six feet tall, nineteen
> inches wide).  All it did was encrypt/decrypt digital data at a rate
> measurable in kilohertz at the very fastest, but in the 1950's when it
> first saw service, it was considered more than adequate.

Weeee... and *this* is why I'm not sure I want to work on military
crypto devices. :-}

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>