POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oi, Darren Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Oi, Darren (Message 1 to 10 of 60)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Oi, Darren
Date: 11 Jul 2008 14:35:56
Message: <4877a80c$1@news.povray.org>
What is Ackermann's function, why does it grow so fast, and why does
anybody care anyway?

(I'm hoping you can explain this better than Wikipedia...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Oi, Darren
Date: 11 Jul 2008 15:02:32
Message: <4877ae48$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> What is Ackermann's function, why does it grow so fast,

That I imagine wikipedia can answer...

> and why does anybody care anyway?

I wouldn't guarantee I'm write, but I believe it's because it's the
first function demonstrated that (basically) you needed indefinite loops
to calculate.

In other words, no number of bounded for-loops will evaluate the
function. You *have* to have while loops in your language to evaluate
the value of the ackerman function.

That's my understanding of why anyone cares, but it's an old memory, so
I might be messing things up.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: