POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Good old technology dies hard Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Good old technology dies hard (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Good old technology dies hard
Date: 12 Jul 2008 12:22:20
Message: <4878da3c@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> They put it on toasters, washing machines and other devices that you
> don't even think of as "computers".

<raises hand>  Cash registers, credit card terminals ....

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints:

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Jul 2008 13:37:54
Message: <4878ebf2$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> <raises hand>  Cash registers, credit card terminals ....

...credit cards... ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Chambers
Date: 12 Jul 2008 14:25:53
Message: <4878f731$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I believe that the answer is: Intel *already* has the pipelines to
> produce 386 processors, from the 80's. Basically they don't have to
> do anything but (simplifying a bit) put the raw material in from one
> end, and 386 processors pop out on the other end. The only costs are
> the raw materials and the maintenance of the pipeline hardware. In
> other words, it's very cheap for them to do this.
>   Designing a completely *new* 387 using modern technologies would cost
> them a whole lot of money. Countless man hours would be spent into the
> design, and a completely new pipeline would need to be constructed.
> Why spend all that money and go through all that trouble when the existing
> hardware is doing just fine, and selling well?

Exactly, although they *are* designing new chips that are meant to go
where the 386 goes.  I think the one from Intel is called the Atom.

...Chambers