POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coins Server Time
13 Jun 2024 05:36:15 EDT (-0400)
  Coins (Message 21 to 30 of 45)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Coins
Date: 9 Jul 2008 08:04:22
Message: <4874a946$1@news.povray.org>
> currently the old 2p coins

What, they might change soon? ;-)

> contain about 3p worth  of copper, would it be worth the cost of stripping
> it off the steel?

Hmm Wikipedia says that the old 2p coins were pure Bronze, the new ones are
Bronze plated steel.  And apparently Bronze used for coins is about 95%
copper, 5% tin.  So I think the old coins you could just melt down and sell
to someone as 95% pure copper, or maybe go about purifying it if it was
economically viable.  The new ones I doubt you'd get enough copper off to
cover the cost of the coin.

> Oh  and the Mint also reminds people that tampering with coinage is
> illegal  (technically I think it's treason as you're tampering with an
> image of the  monarch)

Also I suspect it's because the coins aren't yours to tamper with in the
first place.

Post a reply to this message