POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ubuntu epic fail Server Time
7 Sep 2024 09:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Ubuntu epic fail (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Darren New
Subject: Ubuntu epic fail
Date: 8 Jul 2008 00:42:15
Message: <4872f027$1@news.povray.org>
Tried out Wubi, which is the officially-supported installer that
installs Ubuntu as files inside an existing Windows installation. Good
idea, that.  Works pretty well, altho it downloads the whole CD image
for every install.

Failure mode: you don't have DHCP, so the network isn't set up, so the
host name isn't put into /etc/hosts, so sudo can't look it up, so you
can't get privs to change /etc/hosts or to configure the network with
the static IP address it needs, because the root login is disabled.

Sure, you can boot it, hit escape to get into the grub menu, boot single
user mode (two or three menu levels deep), manually edit /etc/hosts and
/etc/hostname to make it so a non-networked lookup of the host name will
work, if you read enough geek-speak error messages and figure out enough
google keywords that you can figure out this is the problem. [additional
snide comments snipped as unnecessary.]

And no, Wubi seems happy with the network configuration, altho it won't
actually transmit any data, so I have no idea how to fix that. Oh, I
see. Type the configuration in three times, and it'll start working.
Gee, didn't see that coming.

% tclsh
tclsh is available in packages tcl, tcl8.4 and tcl8.5.
Use sudo apt-get install <package> to install it.
% sudo apt-get install tcl8.5
No such package.
% sudo apt-get install tcl8.4
No such package.
% sudo apt-get install tcl
No such package.

Cool, so I need to download sources and install them, and hope when it
actually gets added to the repository it doesn't screw things up.

But at least I have wiggly windows on one of the machines. Maybe I'll
look for the funky desktop managers that look like cubes or something, too.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints:

Even at the risk of sounding like a jerk...

  This is of interest to us because...?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   Even at the risk of sounding like a jerk...
>   This is of interest to us because...?

Just venting. :-)