POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The preverse Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  The preverse (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Invisible
Subject: The preverse
Date: 1 Jul 2008 08:08:16
Message: <486a1e30@news.povray.org>
"Can you all check your cars for chips from the grass cutter earlier
please. (And no jokes about potato products."

Is it just me, or did *you* immediately think "hey, what about
integrated circuits?"

If it weren't for the part in brackets, it wouldn't even have occurred
to me. But seeing that statement just provoked me to *look* for a joke.
I guess I'm just weird...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> "Can you all check your cars for chips from the grass cutter earlier
> please. (And no jokes about potato products."
>
> Is it just me, or did *you* immediately think "hey, what about
> integrated circuits?"
>
> If it weren't for the part in brackets, it wouldn't even have occurred
> to me. But seeing that statement just provoked me to *look* for a joke.
> I guess I'm just weird...

Not the only one. I, too, first thought IC's (before I read the bit
about potato products (we call them fries, which gives an interesting
double entendre when an animal is placed in front, such as lamb))

Post a reply to this message

> Not the only one. I, too, first thought IC's (before I read the bit
> about potato products (we call them fries, which gives an interesting
> double entendre when an animal is placed in front, such as lamb))

Mmm, interesting.

Also... entendre is a word? How the hell do you even pronounce that??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> Not the only one. I, too, first thought IC's (before I read the bit
>> about potato products (we call them fries, which gives an interesting
>> double entendre when an animal is placed in front, such as lamb))
>
> Mmm, interesting.
>
> Also... entendre is a word? How the hell do you even pronounce that??

It's French, pronounce it however you want :)

OK, it's:
en: on like a switch
ten: like "taunt" without the second t
dre: der like in "dander"

...Chambers

Post a reply to this message

> "Can you all check your cars for chips from the grass cutter earlier
> please. (And no jokes about potato products."

Why would the grass cutter (lawn mower?) have circuits, and how would
they get in the car?

...Chambers

PS Never mind, now I get it.

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 13:08:20 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> "Can you all check your cars for chips from the grass cutter earlier
> please. (And no jokes about potato products."
>
> Is it just me, or did *you* immediately think "hey, what about
> integrated circuits?"

Sort of. My first thought was "The grass cutter's lost some chips? What
type of chips; ICs? Did they fly out, did it explode?"

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

> Sort of. My first thought was "The grass cutter's lost some chips? What
> type of chips; ICs? Did they fly out, did it explode?"

...it's kind of reassuring to know that other people are even crazier
than me! ^_^

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

And lo on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:07:20 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> Not the only one. I, too, first thought IC's (before I read the bit
>> about potato products (we call them fries, which gives an interesting
>> double entendre when an animal is placed in front, such as lamb))
>
> Mmm, interesting.
>
> Also... entendre is a word? How the hell do you even pronounce that??

We've had this conversation before and ended up with three different
pronunciations IIRC.

Ah yes "These words" at the end of April08

dublɑ̃ˈtɑ̃drə/ or /ˈdʌbəl ɑnˈtɑndrə

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 16:10:34 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>
>> Sort of. My first thought was "The grass cutter's lost some chips? What
>> type of chips; ICs? Did they fly out, did it explode?"
>
> ...it's kind of reassuring to know that other people are even crazier
> than me! ^_^

Hey I had to read it three times before I understood it I think that
reflects more poorly on the writer than on me ;-)

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

>> ...it's kind of reassuring to know that other people are even crazier
>> than me! ^_^
>
> Hey I had to read it three times before I understood it I think that
> reflects more poorly on the writer than on me ;-)

Heh. I'll tell her that. And then I'll tell her where you live. >:-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/