POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Woohoo!!!! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  Woohoo!!!! (Message 51 to 60 of 61)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Woohoo!!!!
Date: 4 Jul 2008 14:23:54
Message: <486e6aba@news.povray.org>
> OK, now that really *is* counter-intuitive. On a map, it looks like the
> coast of Africa and America would "fit together" if you moved a few
> tectonic plates around. But this diagram shows that America is many
> times smaller than Africa, so this would be quite impossible.

> This is puzzling, since I thought that Africa *was* connected to America
> in the fairly recent geological past...

  Uh, which "America" are you talking about? The continent named "America"
or the country named "United States of America" (often shortended as just
"America")?

  That image has the USA compared to Africa, not the whole American
continent.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> OK, now that really *is* counter-intuitive. On a map, it looks like the
>> coast of Africa and America would "fit together" if you moved a few
>> tectonic plates around. But this diagram shows that America is many
>> times smaller than Africa, so this would be quite impossible.
>
>> This is puzzling, since I thought that Africa *was* connected to America
>> in the fairly recent geological past...
>
>   Uh, which "America" are you talking about? The continent named "America"
> or the country named "United States of America" (often shortended as just
> "America")?
>
>   That image has the USA compared to Africa, not the whole American
> continent.

Last I checked, "the USA" makes up about 90% of the North American
continent anyway... (But then, what do *I* know about geography?
Apparently very little!)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Last I checked, "the USA" makes up about 90% of the North American
> continent anyway...

  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

  Exactly how small do you think Canada is?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message