POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about English grammar Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Question about English grammar (Message 41 to 50 of 59)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Question about English grammar
Date: 1 Jul 2008 09:26:20
Message: <486a307c@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
> > "The rest of it is not difficult." -> "The rest of it's not difficult."

> As has been discussed "it isn't" would probably be the default contraction
> (regional variants notwithstanding), however "it's not" would be more
> likely used when you what to emphasize the ease of 'it'.

  Many answers seem to stick to that 'not' word there, which wasn't really
the point. Maybe this would have been a better example:

  "The rest of it is easy. " -> "The rest of it's easy."

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>  "The rest of it is easy. " -> "The rest of it's easy."

I would always use that contraction during normal speech with a native,
unless I wanted to emphasise the "is":

a: If the rest of it's easy we need to think again.
b: But we already agreed the rest of it *is* easy.

Post a reply to this message

And lo on Tue, 01 Jul 2008 14:26:20 +0100, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> did
spake, saying:

> Phil Cook <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
>> > "The rest of it is not difficult." -> "The rest of it's not
>> difficult."
>
>> As has been discussed "it isn't" would probably be the default
>> contraction
>> (regional variants notwithstanding), however "it's not" would be more
>> likely used when you what to emphasize the ease of 'it'.
>
>   Many answers seem to stick to that 'not' word there, which wasn't
> really
> the point. Maybe this would have been a better example:
>
>   "The rest of it is easy. " -> "The rest of it's easy."

Yep standard contraction. As with the "not" the first example may be used
when you want emphasis e.g

FP: "It's not easy!"
SP: "It is easy!"
FP: "It is not!"