POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about English grammar Server Time
7 Sep 2024 15:25:39 EDT (-0400)
  Question about English grammar (Message 21 to 30 of 59)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Question about English grammar
Date: 30 Jun 2008 18:24:43
Message: <viki64pgchg4ks0jf13920lptb4ng6nn07@4ax.com>
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:40:55 -0700, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
wrote:

>> I was taught that a comma can be used to show a slight pause in a
>> sentence and/or to clarify the intended meaning.
>
>And where did you learn this?

Sorry!

Quoting you

"Exactly how do you know that?" is reasonably a question.
"And exactly how do you know that?" sounds like an accusation.

LOL

At primary school about 50 years ago, so I might have misremembered. I
do sometimes, you know :)
I just asked Regan, my wife and she looked at me as if I had forgotten
to put my trousers on. She agrees as does
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/comma
In speech it it called a caesura.
--

Regards