POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another legal musing Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:22:11 EDT (-0400)
  Another legal musing (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Another legal musing
Date: 25 Jun 2008 14:48:18
Message: <486292f2@news.povray.org>
Suppose I put a lump of gold bullion in the middle of the street, put
three traffic cones around it, and erect a sign saying "do not remove
this object".

If (??!?) somebody steals my lump of gold, can I take them to court and
realistically expect to get a conviction? Or does the fact that I made
absolutely no serious attempt to protect my property invalidate such an
action?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> Suppose I put a lump of gold bullion in the middle of the street, put
> three traffic cones around it, and erect a sign saying "do not remove
> this object".
>
> If (??!?) somebody steals my lump of gold, can I take them to court and
> realistically expect to get a conviction?

Not in my country.

Down here you could put the gold in a locked room with camera and  a
security system, catch a clear photo of the person who stole it and still
not get a conviction.

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:48:18 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> If (??!?) somebody steals my lump of gold, can I take them to court and
> realistically expect to get a conviction?

In the US, that depends on how good your lawyer is.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:48:18 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>
>> If (??!?) somebody steals my lump of gold, can I take them to court and
>> realistically expect to get a conviction?
>
> In the US, that depends on how good your lawyer is.
>
> Jim

There is also some term along the lines of 'enticement', that says you
can't call it theft if you make it too easy to take something. Like
putting a gold bar on a table that says 'free samples' when you really
just meant samples of the cookies.

Post a reply to this message

> Down here you could put the gold in a locked room with camera and  a
> security system, catch a clear photo of the person who stole it and still
> not get a conviction.

Sometimes feels like the same here with the added risk of being sued by
the thief for failing to warn him/her of the risk of injury when lifting
heavy objects

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

> In the US, that depends on how good your lawyer is.

AFAIK, in the US *everything* depends on how good your lawyer is, and is
unrelated to whether you've actually done anything wrong.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:07:05 -0400, Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:48:18 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>
>>> If (??!?) somebody steals my lump of gold, can I take them to court
>>> and realistically expect to get a conviction?
>>
>> In the US, that depends on how good your lawyer is.
>>
>> Jim
>
> There is also some term along the lines of 'enticement', that says you
> can't call it theft if you make it too easy to take something. Like
> putting a gold bar on a table that says 'free samples' when you really
> just meant samples of the cookies.

True, there is that aspect as well.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 09:09:16 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> In the US, that depends on how good your lawyer is.
>
> AFAIK, in the US *everything* depends on how good your lawyer is, and is
> unrelated to whether you've actually done anything wrong.

To an extent, I'd agree with this statement, actually.  It also depends
on how good the judge is and how easily persuaded they are.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> In the US, that depends on how good your lawyer is.
>
> AFAIK, in the US *everything* depends on how good your lawyer is, and is
> unrelated to whether you've actually done anything wrong.

I am waiting for a judge to rule that if the defendant is rich enough,
the plaintiff doesn't need any grounds to have standing to sue.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

> "Orchid XP v8" <voi### [at] devnull> wrote in message
>> Suppose I put a lump of gold bullion in the middle of the street, put
>> three traffic cones around it, and erect a sign saying "do not remove
>> this object".
>>
>> If (??!?) somebody steals my lump of gold, can I take them to court and
>> realistically expect to get a conviction?
>
> Not in my country.
>
> Down here you could put the gold in a locked room with camera and  a
> security system, catch a clear photo of the person who stole it and still
> not get a conviction.

Unless you're in the ANC.  Then the gold could belong to the guy who
took it, and you'd still get a conviction.

Regards,
John