POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yes, that time Server Time
8 Sep 2024 19:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Yes, that time (Message 161 to 170 of 179)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Sabrina Kilian
Subject: Re: Yes, that time
Date: 19 Jun 2008 23:51:47
Message: <485b2953@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Personally, I don't even know where Kansas
> *is*! :-P

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/30_years_of_mans_life_disappear_in

Though the article is littered with cultural references like 'fly-over
states' it does still tell you a bit about the meaning of Kansas in pop
culture.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 19 Jun 2008 23:56:27
Message: <485b2a6b@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> I'd like to see some documents pertaining to the money reserved to pay
> the prize. I think I could get a loan for 200 tickets with that
> information. ;-)

Limit one per customer.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints:

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Jun 2008 00:46:38
Message: <48607c2e@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 11:23:10 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 18 Jun 2008 19:41:15 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>

>>> He was the most obvious when I googled Richard MacDuff but I could not
>>> see the relevance. But then I come from a place where MacDuff is not
>>> uncommon. I remember the local band, Fred MacDuff and the duffers :)
>>
>>There was no connection other than the name tripped that memory in my
>>mind. :-)
>>

> Phew! That's a relief :)

It must've been (sorry, been away a few days on holiday - didn't go
anywhere, just unplugged for a few days).

>>> The Northern Ireland Labour Party activist? No? The Scottish
>>> footballer? No? maybe the actor?
>>
>>Yes, the actor. ;-)  Played Richard in the radio version of DGHDA. :-)
>>

> As much as I like reading SF I don't really like watching it or
> listening to plays. They never live up to the promise :) I really liked
> DGHDA and was pissed off he died. As, no doubt, he was :)

Yes, I imagine he was.  The thing about audio SF is that it leaves
everything to your imagination.  One of the reasons, no doubt, for my
great disappointment in the H2G2 film was because it didn't live up to my
imagination.  Except for the factory floor scene where the earth was
being built - that far exceeded my expectations.

But as Adams always was keen to say (paraphrasing), the brilliance of Sci-
Fi (or Sci-Fantasy, if you will) is that it bypasses the optic nerve
entirely, meaning you can do *whatever* you want; if it's written well
enough, the audience can imagine it better than any SFX house could do it.

Jim

Post a reply to this message