POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microphones Server Time
10 Oct 2024 15:17:10 EDT (-0400)
  Microphones (Message 31 to 31 of 31)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Microphones
Date: 16 Jun 2008 04:31:46
Message: <485624f2@news.povray.org>
> Oh, it *does* accelerate... just... not very much. I mean, if you point a
> *bicycle* downhill, it takes off like a rocket. And it doesn't even weigh
> much! But a much heaveir car... doesn't seem to pick up speed very much.

If there was no friction the car and the bike would accelerate at the same
rate, however cars have a lot more friction in the wheel bearings, tyres etc
because they are heavier by a factor of like 20.

BTW did you actually try the experiment or is it just what you imagine?  It
feels a lot faster doing 30mph on a bike than 30mph in a car!

>> Ermm, my car moves just by lifting the clutch gently, no need to rev at
>> all.
>
> Is your car diesel by any chance?

Yes, but even petrol cars can do this - you just can't lift the clutch as
quickly because the flywheel is usually much lighter in petrol cars.  Try
it - you only need to give it some revs if you want to move off relatively
quickly.

> Right. So given that there's roughly 10^3 revolutions per minute, that
> would be about 10^(-3) L per minute. ;-)

Still not right, you can't use 1 mL of fuel per minute at 75 mph, otherwise
you'd be able to drive for 5 weeks continuously without refilling!  Using
something like 100-150 mL/min of fuel seems much more likely for a normal
car at 75 mph.