POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Everything exists on Wikipedia Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Everything exists on Wikipedia (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Invisible
Subject: Everything exists on Wikipedia
Date: 9 Jun 2008 11:27:36
Message: <484d4be8@news.povray.org>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_inventors_killed_by_their_own_inventions

Seriously, you don't even need to click that. The URL says it all!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: somebody
Subject: Re: Everything exists on Wikipedia
Date: 9 Jun 2008 17:39:30
Message: <484da312$1@news.povray.org>
Let's see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything

Yep.

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 10 Jun 2008 07:32:36
Message: <484e6654@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> Let's see:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything
>
> Yep.

...and so does nothing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 10 Jun 2008 11:47:55
Message: <484ea22b@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing

"""
many philosophers hold that the word "nothing" does not function as a
noun: there is not any object it refers to.
"""

That's not what makes something a noun. :-) A noun is something that is
plural, can be made plural, or can be made possessive.

If the philosophers were right, it would seem there is no part of speech
that the word "nothing" occupies. Plus, sentences like "what is stored
in the box?" would be nonsense if everything were outside the box, as
the normal answer "nothing" would be referring to "nothing".  (I.e., if
"nothing" is not a noun because it doesn't refer to any object, then any
word that refers to the concept of "nothing" would also not be a noun.)

Those wacky philosophers never manage to get their levels of abstraction
right.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
  Helpful housekeeping hints: