POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  Wow... how quaint (Message 51 to 60 of 109)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Wow... how quaint
Date: 6 Jun 2008 15:07:35
Message: <48498af7$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'm sure if you knew enough about Linux, you could do this kind of thing
>> pretty easily. I don't have the knowledge required.
>
> That's a far cry from "doesn't appear to be documented".

...and why do you think I don't have the knowledge required?

Maybe because I couldn't find it documented anywhere? ;-)

>> I *have* such a thing. It's a little Linux boot disk that allows you to
>> access an NTFS partition and rewrite the SAM DB. [The thing that stores
>> the local administrator password.] Very damn useful too! ;-)
>
> Yep.  I've got a copy of that one around here somewhere as well from my
> days working on Win2K Server.  Pity it didn't work on the domain
> controller I was having problems with, though - W2Ks had a problem where
> if the administrator password got corrupted (that's the best guess
> Microsoft had about the issue), you couldn't even boot into safe mode.
> The utility disk at the time didn't understand AD DCs (indeed, since it
> was a DC, it wasn't the SAM but the AD database that needed to be
> accessed, and it wasn't designed for that).

Yeah, AD works completely differently to the SAM - even down to using a
different hash function IIRC. Good luck with that! [Time for an
authoritative restore - oh, wait, it doesn't boot! OK, time for a
parallel install to set up the backup software to restore the original
data over the top of the boot partition. Yes, I have personally done
this. No, it isn't amusing.]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/