POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paranoia? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:14 EDT (-0400)
  Paranoia? (Message 21 to 22 of 22)
From: Eero Ahonen
Subject: Re: Paranoia?
Date: 22 May 2008 11:16:48
Message: <48358e60@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Eero Ahonen wrote:
>
>> No offence, but why do you need to reinvent the wheel? Just use diff.
>
> Because it's easier [and more reliable] to call a function than to
> invoke an external program and attempt to parse it's output?

Ahh yes, that I can understand.

OTOH, based on the very opening of this thread I dare to question the
increased reliability of that particular built-in function :).

>> For future cases there's lots of useful small programs ported on
>> Windows, too ;).
>> http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
>
> Hmm - I wonder if they have "time"? That would be useful...

At least on Cygwin yes, but it's a bit different thing...

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

>> Because it's easier [and more reliable] to call a function than to
>> invoke an external program and attempt to parse it's output?
>
> Ahh yes, that I can understand.
>
> OTOH, based on the very opening of this thread I dare to question the
> increased reliability of that particular built-in function :).

Hmm, well... Suffice it to say that in future, I'll use /dev/urandom
rather than my own PRNG. And I've now fixed my file comparator. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/