POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Distortion of meaning? - contains one use of moderate language Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  Distortion of meaning? - contains one use of moderate language (Message 6 to 15 of 25)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Distortion of meaning? - contains one use of moderate language
Date: 28 Apr 2008 18:59:56
Message: <48165712.8050802@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:
>   Languages change as people use them. I am in the front line protesting
> against that, but it just seems to be an inevitable consequence of human
> nature, and there's nothing we can do about it, unfortunately.
>
>   Do you remember when "gay" was an innocent word and was the synonym for
> "happy"?

For those who did not know who is my favorite songwriter and those who
don't care:
http://ericbogle.net/lyrics/lyricspdf/sillyslangsong.pdf

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Attwood
Date: 28 Apr 2008 22:58:54
Message: <48168eee@news.povray.org>
>  Do you remember when "gay" was an innocent word and was the synonym for
> "happy"?

Sure, there's a restaurant near here that has the word
gay in the name. They serve good tasting food too.
http://www.dirtydavespizza.com/ (flash)

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 29 Apr 2008 08:10:04
Message: <4817101c$1@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> Watching a trailer for 'Ironman' last night, I noticed the warning
> "Contains strong violence and one use of moderate language".

They probably intended to say "mature" or "immoderate," spelled it
wrong, and the spell checker changed it to "moderate."

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 29 Apr 2008 15:11:07
Message: <481772cb$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:09:59 -0400, John VanSickle wrote:

> Doctor John wrote:
>> Watching a trailer for 'Ironman' last night, I noticed the warning
>> "Contains strong violence and one use of moderate language".
>
> They probably intended to say "mature" or "immoderate," spelled it
> wrong, and the spell checker changed it to "moderate."
>
> Regards,
> John

I think it is shortened from 'moderately offensive' language. Who ever
shortened it just didn't pay attention to the new meaning of the sentence.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 30 Apr 2008 06:06:22
Message: <4818449e@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   Do you remember when "gay" was an innocent word and was the synonym for
> "happy"?

  Which also reminded me of these:

http://www.chickenjohn.freeserve.co.uk/images/man_with_a_very_big_cock.jpg
http://sam.zoy.org/porn/cute_underage_chick_with_hairy_pussy.jpeg

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 30 Apr 2008 10:05:58
Message: <48187cc6@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Which also reminded me of these:
>
> http://sam.zoy.org/porn/cute_underage_chick_with_hairy_pussy.jpeg

Awww, cute!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Phil Cook
Date: 2 May 2008 10:47:59
Message: <op.uai64up8c3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:11:07 +0100, Sabrina Kilian
<ykg### [at] SUCKSvtedu> did spake, saying:

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:09:59 -0400, John VanSickle wrote:
>
>> Doctor John wrote:
>>> Watching a trailer for 'Ironman' last night, I noticed the warning
>>> "Contains strong violence and one use of moderate language".

Oh no one of the characters probably gets beaten to a pulp and then says
"Shit that hurt"... gotta warn the parents about that type of language.

>> They probably intended to say "mature" or "immoderate," spelled it
>> wrong, and the spell checker changed it to "moderate."
>
> I think it is shortened from 'moderately offensive' language. Who ever
> shortened it just didn't pay attention to the new meaning of the
> sentence.

Or possibly derived from Strong Language, so you also get Mild Language
and Moderate Language; like cheese :-)

I have yet to see anything that warns me it contains "Language", but I
suppose it's only a matter of time.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 2 May 2008 10:58:38
Message: <481b2c1e@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
> I have yet to see anything that warns me it contains "Language", but I
> suppose it's only a matter of time.

'Mild Peril' always makes me chuckle.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 2 May 2008 11:11:50
Message: <481b2f36$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:

> 'Mild Peril' always makes me chuckle.

Indeed...

"WATCH The Day After Tomorrow. IN CINEMAS NOW! [Contains mild peril.]"

Uh, no... no, actually the entire film *is* mild peril. It does not
merely "contain" it. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Phil Cook
Date: 2 May 2008 11:16:22
Message: <op.uai8ezdoc3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Fri, 02 May 2008 16:01:16 +0100, Bill Pragnell
<bil### [at] hotmailcom> did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> I have yet to see anything that warns me it contains "Language", but I
>> suppose it's only a matter of time.
>
> 'Mild Peril' always makes me chuckle.

Ah mild peril - [solo]How could you serve - [chorus]Mustard.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>