POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SQL help Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  SQL help (Message 41 to 44 of 44)
From: Phil Cook
Subject: Re: SQL help
Date: 12 Mar 2008 04:03:43
Message: <op.t7wbhreac3xi7v@news.povray.org>
And lo on Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:53:58 -0000, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake, saying:

> Phil Cook wrote:
>> I'm confused - can't the big disk machine access the tape drive
>> directly over the network?
>
> No. How would you do that?

As part of a SAN

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Mar 2008 13:22:36
Message: <47d81f6c$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:04:29 +0000, Phil Cook wrote:

> And lo on Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:53:58 -0000, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
> did spake, saying:
>
>> Phil Cook wrote:
>>> I'm confused - can't the big disk machine access the tape drive
>>> directly over the network?
>>
>> No. How would you do that?
>
> As part of a SAN

Well, if the tape device was, that would be one way.  I didn't assume
that when I thought of my answer, which would be just to export the big
disk machine's filesystem to the small disk machine using NFS.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> that when I thought of my answer, which would be just to export the big
> disk machine's filesystem to the small disk machine using NFS.

I guess that would work. For years I'd been using

cat /dev/tape | rsh overthere tar xf -

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:18:17 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> that when I thought of my answer, which would be just to export the big
>> disk machine's filesystem to the small disk machine using NFS.
>
> I guess that would work. For years I'd been using
>
> cat /dev/tape | rsh overthere tar xf -

That'd work, too - obviously. ;-)

Jim