POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SQL help Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  SQL help (Message 15 to 24 of 44)
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: SQL help
Date: 7 Mar 2008 15:56:21
Message: <47d1abf5@news.povray.org>
news:47d17435$1@news.povray.org...

> The last three completely stumped me. One wanted me to take some data
> from one table and insert it into another one. I know how that's done, I
> just don't remember the command syntax off the top of my head.

INSERT INTO SomeTable (<Column names>)
SELECT <Columns> FROM SomeOtherTable
WHERE <Any relevant conditions>

> Another
> wanted me to use "cursors" - something I've never ever done before. I
> don't even know what one *is*.

Slow and inefficient.

> PS. Apparently "I see plenty of people who claim to know SQL who do
> worse than you did. You're really underselling yourself, Andrew. I
> wasn't even expecting you to ATTEMPT those last few..."

Yup. I see that too. People claiming to have 4 years of SQL experience and
can't write a  basic select statement

Post a reply to this message

From: Gail Shaw
Date: 7 Mar 2008 16:01:00
Message: <47d1ad0c@news.povray.org>
> Darren New wrote:
> > Or, to clarify. Count the number of sessions that *ended*.  Much easier
> > than counting the number of sessions that started.  Finding the end of a
> > session is finding the row where there's no row with a greater timestamp
> > but within 10 minutes of this timestamp.
>
> Care to write an SQL statement? ;-)

Very rough and probably wrong. It's late and I'm not going to test this

SELECT Stuff FROM someTable a
WHERE not exists
 (SELECT 1 FROM SomeTable b where DATEDIFF ('mi',a.timestamp,b.timestamp)
between 0 and 10 AND a.UserID = b.UserID and a.HitID != b.HitID)

That should give all hits that don't have another hit with the same user ID
in the next 10 minutes.

It's not particuarly efficient, but I don't care right now.

Post a reply to this message