POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Using Excel as a 3D engine Server Time
10 Oct 2024 23:20:07 EDT (-0400)
  Using Excel as a 3D engine (Message 11 to 20 of 45)
From: Orchid XP v7
Subject: Re: Using Excel as a 3D engine
Date: 11 Mar 2008 14:15:50
Message: <47d6da66$1@news.povray.org>
>> Well let's put it this way. If you wanted to calculate the geometric
>> mean (assuming there isn't already a function for that), in VBA you'd
>> have to write an explicit FOR loop (with initialisation, update,
>> etc.), whereas in Haskell you'd just keep a "map" call... It's a 1-liner.
>>

> Meaning that you have pre-done function/call for it in Haskell (no, it
> doesn't have to be self-made, it just is implemented earlier, usually
> since someone has needed it).

The point being that it is *possible* to define the "map" function in
Haskell, whereas such a function cannot be defined in VBA. :-P

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 11 Mar 2008 14:53:16
Message: <47d6e32c$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> in VBA you'd have to write an explicit FOR loop

Not in Excel. What are you smoking? :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 11 Mar 2008 15:05:38
Message: <47d6e612$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:

> The point being that it is *possible* to define the "map" function in
> Haskell, whereas such a function cannot be defined in VBA. :-P

Umm.. I'm not getting this - why is it impossible to define in VBA?

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

>> The point being that it is *possible* to define the "map" function in
>> Haskell, whereas such a function cannot be defined in VBA. :-P
>>

> Umm.. I'm not getting this - why is it impossible to define in VBA?

Because in VBA, you can't pass functions as arguments to functions.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>>> The point being that it is *possible* to define the "map" function in
>>> Haskell, whereas such a function cannot be defined in VBA. :-P
>>>

>> Umm.. I'm not getting this - why is it impossible to define in VBA?
>
> Because in VBA, you can't pass functions as arguments to functions.

Oh, right. I bet there's *some* way to get the equivalent of function
pointers, but I don't know VBA well enough offhand...

Actually, you can. It just takes more work. You have to do it the way
you'd do in (say) java, and make a com object with the functionaltiy you
need. Perhaps overkill, yes.