POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting Server Time
12 Oct 2024 03:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Adventures with digital painting (Message 48 to 57 of 197)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Adventures with digital painting
Date: 8 Mar 2008 13:57:16
Message: <47d2e18c@news.povray.org>
> >   In a graphical user interface it's more difficult to make them
> > interoperate, which is probably one reason why they usually don't.

> And also one reason why command-line tools are better for many things.

  True, although I have to admit that sometimes a graphical user interface
just makes some things easier, faster and more practical (although not so
many things as many people seem to believe.)

> (image editing probably not one of them)

  Basically anything involving heavy amounts of multimedia.

  (Playing video/music files may be a borderline case, though. For example
mplayer is a superb command-line media player, and mencoder is a good
command-line tool for converting videos and a good "ripping" tool.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message