POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with digital painting Server Time
12 Oct 2024 05:09:55 EDT (-0400)
  Adventures with digital painting (Message 38 to 47 of 197)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Adventures with digital painting
Date: 7 Mar 2008 07:26:16
Message: <47d13468@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 17:10:06 -0000, "Doctor John" <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>> "Stephen" <mcavoysATaolDOTcom@> wrote in message

>>> Mine too and no one ever knows what to buy me either :(
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Stephen
>> I hate to say this but ... me too
>> March 22 if you're planning to be in The Jack Horner (Tottenham Court Road)
>> on that day :-)
>>

> Oh! that is a Saturday and I'll be home for the weekend. (I'm starting a new job
> next week.) So you are a Modulo day older than me as mine is on the 23rd. of
> March. And Tottenham Court Road is close to "Forbidden Planet" I'd love to meet
> up.
>
> Regards
> 	Stephen
Ok, lets go for it. Set a time and I'll be there.
Anyone else up for a meet?

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Doctor John
Date: 7 Mar 2008 07:35:37
Message: <47d13699@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:

> Come to think of it, both me and my sister have the "student" version of
> M$ Office. I don't know *how* it's supposed to tell whether you're a
> student or not...

It never gets started before 2pm and definitely never on a weekend :-)

John

finished," then he sat down.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 7 Mar 2008 08:07:36
Message: <47d13e18@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:
> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>> Come to think of it, both me and my sister have the "student" version of
>> M$ Office. I don't know *how* it's supposed to tell whether you're a
>> student or not...
>>
> It never gets started before 2pm and definitely never on a weekend :-)

*rimshot*

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Mar 2008 13:39:58
Message: <jq23t390eibppf19gt4knqfie8p9ofkmld@4ax.com>
On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 12:27:17 +0000, Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>>> March 22 if you're planning to be in The Jack Horner (Tottenham Court Road)
>>> on that day :-)
>>>

>> Oh! that is a Saturday and I'll be home for the weekend. (I'm starting a new job
>> next week.) So you are a Modulo day older than me as mine is on the 23rd. of
>> March. And Tottenham Court Road is close to "Forbidden Planet" I'd love to meet
>> up.

>Ok, lets go for it. Set a time and I'll be there.
>Anyone else up for a meet?

I've not been for a drink there but it looks like a good location. Easy to get
to from Euston, Kings Cross or Liverpool St. (For the out of towners :) As for a
time, I'm easy and it is only about a half and hour from my home by the bendy
bus #18.
Do you want to wait to see if anyone else will join us before setting a time?

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 7 Mar 2008 16:05:09
Message: <47d1ae05$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> As I recall from when I actually used PSP, version 8 was the best in
>> the series. It started going downhill when Corel stepped in.
>
> I used V8 for a long time at work, and V9 at home.  I just recently got
> the latest Pro Photo X2 from Corel ... and really, I don't see any big
> differences, apart from nicer eye candy.  The functionality is still all
> there, the menus are almost identical, a few additional tools and better
> designed older tools, but essentially 95% the same program.
>
> So I'd agree with Gail and Warp, go get a cheap copy of PSP 8 or 9 and
> give that a whirl - it has most of the features that a non-Pro uses in
> Photoshop anyway.

Heck, I use version 7...even 8 was too bloatware for my taste.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.digitalartsuk.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 7 Mar 2008 16:06:40
Message: <47d1ae60@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook escribió:
> Heck, I use version 7...even 8 was too bloatware for my taste.

http://stuff.povaddict.com.ar/psp5.png

I tried 8 or 9 and I was impressed at the amount of bloat.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Mar 2008 16:41:29
Message: <uid3t3du6ptafdn5cjvqq6f47b4fbpsm7e@4ax.com>
On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 16:05:08 -0500, Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

>Heck, I use version 7...even 8 was too bloatware for my taste.

I just checked and I'm using Version 6

Regards
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 8 Mar 2008 13:47:09
Message: <47d2df2d@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Tim Cook escribió:
>> Heck, I use version 7...even 8 was too bloatware for my taste.
>
> http://stuff.povaddict.com.ar/psp5.png
>
> I tried 8 or 9 and I was impressed at the amount of bloat.

I love the Unix philosophy of making specific, lightweight tools that
interoperate, rather than gargantuan monolithic beasts that do
everything rather poorly.

--
...Ben Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 8 Mar 2008 13:51:10
Message: <47d2e01e@news.povray.org>
Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> I love the Unix philosophy of making specific, lightweight tools that
> interoperate, rather than gargantuan monolithic beasts that do
> everything rather poorly.

  In a graphical user interface it's more difficult to make them
interoperate, which is probably one reason why they usually don't.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 8 Mar 2008 13:52:09
Message: <47d2e059$1@news.povray.org>
Warp escribió:
> Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
>> I love the Unix philosophy of making specific, lightweight tools that
>> interoperate, rather than gargantuan monolithic beasts that do
>> everything rather poorly.
>
>   In a graphical user interface it's more difficult to make them
> interoperate, which is probably one reason why they usually don't.

And also one reason why command-line tools are better for many things.
(image editing probably not one of them)