POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Off again Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Off again (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Brian Elliott
Subject: Off again
Date: 23 Feb 2008 08:03:40
Message: <47c019ac@news.povray.org>
Well, that's it for a while.  In less than 12 hours, I'm flying back to NZ
to join Lady at my other home.

It's been a poignant time for me here, I flew back to Australia 11 days ago
to see my brother-in-law who was terminally ill.  Only I got back one day
too late when the end came far faster in the last few days than everyone
including all the doctors and nurses predicted.

He was disarmingly direct about his condition and it became part of his
humour, like with almost everything.  Some who didn't know him were
unaccustomed to hearing such directness about sickness and death and were a
little confronted by it.  When he went into the Wesley hospital, he said to
the nurses "I'm not here for a long time:  I'm here for a good time.", and
called the place "Club Wes".

Bob went peacefully and happy in the way he wanted.  An avid fisherman for
decades (he started the fishing club here some 30 years ago), entertaining
physics teacher, interested in divinity (ie. the many religions of the world
and their creation myths), he had a wicked wit, wicked smirk and sense of
humour, a fan of Douglas Adams and Monty Python, he was a good guy to know.

He had final words for everyone that were read at his funeral last weekend.
He gave some advice to students, colleagues, family and friends.  And true
to form, he finished with "In the words of Douglas Adams, 'So long, and
thanks for all the fish'."  Followed immediately by a playing of Python's
"Always look on the bright side of life" from the final scene of "Life of
Brian".

Have just come back from a family farewell (for the time being) up the
coast.  This time I expect to be away for four months while Lady and I
resume our lives in NZ, but we could be back sooner, who knows, we are
keeping our options open.  Until then, you won't have to put up with my
pointless puns and one-liners.

Now I'm turning in for the night.  Big travel day tomorrow, and someone I
very much want to see is at the other end of it.

--
Brian

Post a reply to this message